Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Jump on a New Year's Resolution


2 hours later
People say I have a lot to say…

Usually I say a lot when I’m trying to avoid doing.  In this case, I am procrastinating on my current manuscript, that always needs editing, and the next manuscript, which is just a gleam in my mind’s eye.  Oh, and those query letters for a manuscript in search of an agent.

So…it was time to start blogging.  After all, it’s still writing.  Right?

Besides, I was going to make this one of my resolutions for 2011.  We are snowed in today by a raging blizzard—see photos.  No time like the present.

Like most writers, I have a J-O-B.  Writing is a passion, an addiction; I don’t know how to stop.  It doesn’t pay the bills, yet.  In fact, it doesn’t pay at all.   I know there are a lot of us out there pouring our words out on paper or screen.  I wanted to create a place to ramble about the writing process, ideas, books, movies and all those things that writers wonder about including real life.

Christmas Day, my daughter flipped through the guide on our TV and noted that there was nothing to watch except multiple versions of The Christmas Carol.  At the same time my son was excited about the premiere of the Dr. Who version of The Christmas Carol.  Christmas is about hope and redemption.   But do we have the tendency to take a good thing (a story, a theme a trend) and beat it to death.   I hope not.   Paranormals are my passion, ever since I was in grammar school and raced home everyday to watch Dark Shadows or curled up under a hand crocheted throw in a dark room with my grandmother as images of Bela Lugosi, John Carradine and Lon Chaney (Sr. and Jr.) flickered across the television screen.

So for 2011, I will continue to pursue my passion, hopefully publish and get this blog thing figured out.  Did I mention the twenty pounds I must lose by mid-March?


2 comments:

  1. hi Karen,
    Cheers on your Blog. I have rambled around it and like /links/visuals. Very nice.
    I submitted a piece to "Modern Love." First subission in 20 years. I am so glad I did it. Now have another one waiting to go somewhere-prosbably Wee Lights/or is it Tiny Lightsl.
    All of these are chapters from the memoir of the crazed l3 year marriage whose working title is "Vodka Bottle." I have read a lot of memoir texts and books, Some are really good. Surprised to find myself being so helped by a text.
    Skipped class for ages and then decided to do Russell Rowland's 28,000 word one because I think he's good teacher and that number of words will make me work hard.
    I hope you are ok from Blizzard.We were in Pittsburg and worried about getting home to MD. Hope our house in South NJ is ok.
    Good energy to us all for the coming year of God knows what and writing. Best, Claire who is now Claire Drapkin (showing even older dogs are in the loop).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a LOT of snow! Stay warm & drink lots of hot chocolate!

    Best of luck w/ your writing! :)

    ReplyDelete